Sunday 26 October 2008

Redknapp takes Spurs' job offer

HARRY REDKNAPP is the shock new boss of Tottenham.
The Portsmouth manager confirmed he will take charge just minutes after Juande Ramos was sacked late last night.
Pompey have reluctantly allowed Redknapp to leave after agreeing a £5million compensation deal.
The former West Ham boss will NOT work under a director of football after Tottenham confirmed axed Damien Comolli will not be replaced.
And Redknapp will also take charge of his new side in today's clash with Bolton.
He said: "Tottenham are a big club and it is a chance for me to see what I can do. I will be at the game against Bolton tomorrow and meet the players in the morning.
“The deal was good for the club and it is a chance for me to manage a big, big club before I retire. The squad has good ability but it is not well balance and has a soft centre.
“We need more aggression and we've been on a horrendous run. We've got to get cracking and get results.
"We can stay up this year. We've got a good chairman who backs the club. Hopefully I can go in and get the breaks. It's a massive club.
“We've got to stay up this year and build from there. It came a bit out of the blue and once the compensation was agreed it was all systems go.
"I was so happy at Portsmouth that until we got the phone call I never thought I would leave. But once Tottenham came in and the offer was made it was difficult for the club to turn down the offer.
“Portsmouth are in terrific shape and are in the best shape they can be in. I'd like to thank everyone for the great times I've had there and hopefully things will go as well at Portsmouth.
"Funds were tight at Portsmouth. We were hoping to do a deal or two before the window opened but couldn't.
“I've moved on and hopefully people will remember what I did there. I wish Jermain Defoe was at Tottenham now!"

No comments: